This is an easy pom pom animal craft to make with kids. We think this pom pom craft turtle is so cute!
This easy pom pom craft is easy for kids to make
We have been learning all about reptiles this week, so we made a turtle craft together. This easy pom pom craft turtle turned out to be so fun for my kid to make.
Get all the activities and resources we used for our reptile-themed week here, including our weekly lesson plan.
Here’s our secret. I actually bought this as a pom pom animal craft set.
But if you have some pom poms, pipe cleaners, squiggly eyes and glue at home, you can easily make this pom pom animal yourself.
The real advantage of the craft kit is the realistic colors. But to be honest, I’m sure my kid would have loved, if not even preferred, a wacky colorful turtle.
Here's a photo of the contents of the pom pom craft set that I bought. The set has enough materials to make three turtles. Two turtles are small and one turtle is big.
As you can imagine though, we only made one pom pom craft turtle before my kid lost focus and wanted to start playing with it. Hence, you only see the small pom pom turtle in the pictures.
Supplies needed to make this turtle pom pom craft with your kid
If you don’t have a craft kit, these are the supplies you will need to make one pom pom craft turtle:
- about 10 small pom poms for the turtle's shell
- one small pom pom for the turtle's tail
- one small pom pom for the turtle's neck
- one larger pom pom for the turtle's head
- two squiggly eyes
- one cardboard or foam piece cut into a rough oval shape
- one short pipe cleaner that is just long enough to outline the cardboard oval
- four pipe cleaners for the turtle's legs
- craft glue
This is the tacky glue we always use when making pom pom crafts. I find it is strong enough to hold pom poms together.
How to make this easy pom pom animal turtle
I've tried to take a lot of pictures to show how my kid and I made this turtle craft. Hopefully you can follow along!
First make a border for the shell
First, wrap the short pipe cleaners around so it’s the size of the cardboard oval. Glue it on. This forms the border for the shell.
Glue on pom poms to make the turtle shell
Next, glue on the pom poms to make a shell. Start by gluing a circle just inside the pipe cleaners. Then, start gluing layers upwards into a shell.
Add on a tail and neck
Once the shell is done, glue a small tail at one end. On the other end, glue a small pom pom as a neck.
Glue on a turtle head
For the last pom pom, glue a larger pom pom as the turtle’s head. Then glue on 2 squiggly eyes.
This picture doesn’t show the tail.
Make legs for the craft turtle using pipe cleaners
Lastly, you have to make the turtle’s legs. I had to help my kid with this part because the pipe cleaner was a bit wonky.
Take a pipe cleaner and wrap it tightly around a pencil. Slide it off the pencil and glue it on the bottom of the oval cardboard. Repeat this three times to make all the legs.
And there you go! You are done with your easy pom pom craft turtle!
Tips for making this easy pom pom craft
This pom pom animal is pretty straightforward to make. I did it together with my kid because it is a little bit difficult for him to work with such small pom poms. But an older kid could definitely make this by themselves.
Use the right glue
The trickiest part for making this craft is gluing it so the pom poms stick well enough for a kid to play with it.
We’ve done a lot of pom pom crafts in the past and I’ve learned to always use this tacky glue. Other glues often just end up as a dry spot on the pom poms, but don’t actually hold them together.
Organize the pom pom by size before you start
My kid always rushes ahead when we do crafts. To help make the process easier for me, I always make sure everything is organised before we start.
Before we started gluing, I had him make one pile of green small pom poms, and separate out the tail, neck and head.
That way, he didn’t grab the wrong size or color pom pom when gluing.
Hope you enjoy making this easy pom pom craft at home
My kid named his turtle Pooh Bear and loves it. He's taught Pooh Bear how to count numbers and play piano.
I really hope you enjoy making this easy pom pom animal craft as much as we did!
Easy Pom Pom Craft Turtle
- Tacky Glue
- 10-15 small pom poms (use various colors)
- 1 medium pom pom - for the turtle's head
- 2 small squiggly eyes
- 1 short pipe cleaner
- 4 regular pipe cleaners
- 1 small piece cardboard - cut into a small oval
- Wrap the short pipe cleaners around so it’s the size of the cardboard oval. Glue it on. This forms the border for the shell.
- Glue on the pom poms to make a turtle shell. Start by gluing a circle just inside the pipe cleaners. Then, glue layers upwards into a shell.
- Once the shell is done, glue a small tail at one end. On the other end, glue a small pom pom as a neck.
- Glue the medium pom pom on as the turtle’s head. Then glue on 2 squiggly eyes.
Make the turtle's legs
- Take a pipe cleaner and wrap it tightly around a pencil. Slide it off the pencil and glue it on the bottom of the oval cardboard. Repeat this three times to make all the legs.
- Allow everything to dry fully.